The Mortar is a common card, which is unlockable from Arena 6! A Mortar shot always does the same damage as an equal Fireball (Note: Level 7 Rare = Level 9 Common, so Level 8 Rare = Level 10 Common, etc.).
Like X-Bow, it’s a Siege Building, which means, it can be used as a win condition to damage towers, although, it’s cheaper, but has less Lifetime.
Since it’s a common win condition, unlockable from early arenas, it can easily be used as a reliable win condition in any Arena.
Along it being more effective in early arenas (players can’t counter it well), it still requires that knowledge that is gathered far in the game. It’s a tricky archetype that can be coupled with various support cards, and win conditions too!
- The mortar should regularly be placed 1 tile from the bridge, and 1 / 2 tiles from the side of the arena!
- When countering Hog Riders, the Mortar should be placed at the bridge, in the middle, closer to the side they’re pushing on. This way the Hog enters the Mortar’s blind zone, and the Mortar is switching on the Tower! It’s essential to use a cheap troop like skeletons or goblins to kill the Hog faster in case they support it.
- Against Three Musketeers, when they get closer to the bridge, Rocket the side with One, they’re most likely to Battle Ram or something else! You can easily counter the two with a Knight!
- This tip is the same for non-mortar users too: Never overcommit defending a Mortar! They might just plain Rocket the tower, and still be equal on elixir! Also, when someone spends more on defending your Mortar, and you have good defensive cards in cycle, just Rocket the tower!
- When playing against Bowler or Executioner, split up your Knight and Archers placement so they won’t get splashed together! Most likely they will place it closer to the middle.
- When playing against Graveyard Freeze, use your skeletons first to counter the Graveyard, then Archers if they react to your skeletons. You have the log to clear out a few of them if they get close.
- When playing against Hog Cycle with Knight and Archers, Rocket the Knight if it gets close to the Arena tower. The Archers and Goblins are easy to deal with, Mortar to defend hog.
- Never go opposite lane with Mortar. Mortar is designed for chip damage, while if he supports his Giant on the opposite lane, it will get extremely hard to defend. The biggest disadvantage is that if he takes down that tower, you will go for the 2-1 win. It’s extremely hard to Mortar on a side that is already taken down by your opponent, so he can just surround it with Barbarians and kill it no matter how hard you guard it.
- When playing against all kinds of Zap Bait, Always set up defensive Mortar at double elixir time, and start Rocket-cycling. Mortar gets significantly harder to pull off in double elixir, since they will always have elixir for that extra knight or ice spirit to keep the Mortar busy. Get damage in single elixir, then start rocket cycling.
- If you recognize a Mortar or Hog deck playing against you, always split Archers. Don’t let them get Log or Fireball value.
- Well known tip: always place Skeletons or Ice Spirit in front of a naked Mortar to discract counters such as Inferno Tower, Mega Minion, etc.
- When defending against Lava Hound, always place the Mortar into the Hog Spot, at the River, closer to the side they’re pushing.
- When your enemy is defending Mortar with Mortar, place a Knight at the River, closer to the opposite side. The enemy Mortar will shoot the Knight. Pro tip followup: Place a predictive Ice Spirit and Log in front of the Mortar to kill his archers!
- Very valuable tip: When countering Royal Giant, place the Mortar one tile BELOW the average placement. This way it’s 2 tiles in front of the King tower and 3 from the Arena tower! This way the RG enters the area where the Tower shoots him, the RG shoots the Mortar, and you can place it anytime! No outranging, stress, timing, like for the Inferno Tower or Cannon or anything else. You just place it there, and chill out.
- Most important aspect: When the match is not going your way, just go for the draw! Never give spell value on Archers, never place mortar close to the tower, and don’t let anything through! Always remember, there is no reason to go for the win against an RG Bowler deck, unless you get good damage on the first few Mortars. Just hope he has no high damage spells.
- Ice Spirit and Skeletons are great cards to distract the Mortar. It has a 30 sec lifetime, so take advantage of it!
- If you have a pump deck, always try to outcycle their rocket. It may sound impossible, but it might work out against an average player.
- If you have a tank like an Ice Golem, Knight, Giant, anything, just place them in the opposite lane, in the middle. By the time they die, the Mortar is already dead.
- A Mortar shoots 6 times during its lifetime. Remember that!
- Always remember the blind zone! If you’re attacking with hog and they mortar, put a knight on your side, preferably somewhere in the middle, to tank the shots!
- When defending Mortar vs Mortar, always count that they will tank your Mortar. Aim for countering tip 13. A Knight opposite lane is perfect.
- Maybe the only tip everyone knew, don’t give them rocket value.
- Don’t overcommit on countering his Archers or other troops, because he will rocket your tower for free.
- Cannon is a very good counter to Mortar. When you attack with Hog, place the Cannon predictively at the River, at the middle.
- Lastly, if you find it very hard countering Mortar, just put Bowler into your deck. Easy fix!
Best Mortar Decks
Lastly but not least, here are the best Mortar decks I’ve played, along with their pros and cons!
Classic Mortar Cycle
|Very easy to overlevel, ladder deck||Not great in Challenges|
|Counters Ladder meta, including Royal Giant, Elite Barbarians, Lavaloon, Hog, etc.||Weak vs Bowler|
|Very easily takes advantage of ladder, can easily go for the draw||Requires lots of skill, lots of experience|
F2P Mortar Miner
|Requires a different mindset of playing Mortar||Not great in Challenges|
|Requires advanced skill with Miner||Weak vs Bowler|
|Counters Ladder very well||Requires lots of skill, lots of experience|
|Legendaries can be lower level too||Hard to beat Classic Mortar cycle|
Mortar Miner Poison
|Very good in challenges, counters Hog very well||Kind of hard vs Mega Knight|
|Great control, powerful hard counter in Brackets||Pretty bad in Ladder because of the E-wiz|
|Unexpected Mortar, first one usually gets few hits|